And there was a light bill.
After not having a working electric meter since some time in early August, and after several attempts to get the electricity commission (CFE) to actually take our request for a replacement and finally getting them to do so after a month of trying, and after waiting for 6 months for them to actually replace the broken meter which they didn’t do until after we went in AGAIN to tell them they still hadn’t acted on it, we have FINALLY received our bill for all the undocumented power usage for those months.
We figured it wouldn’t be too accurate since we were all gone for 2+ months with everything unplugged. We were right in thinking they wouldn’t take that into consideration. They didn’t.
However, since they were so bad about actually taking our work order in the first place, they probably missed about a month of non-payment at the front-end. So, all-in-all, it seemed to turn out about right. Less than I expected, but I was expecting to get gouged a bit. It’s hard to really figure, but I think we probably ended up paying less than if the meter had been working all along.
Praise God for that! I don’t think we’ve ever heard of anyone ever getting a situation like this to work in their favor here in Mexico. It’s a minor miracle!
We’ll put the little extra we saved aside for future spikes in our utility bills. They happen from time to time, unexpectedly, and it’s nice to have a little cushion set aside just for that contingency.