Visa, cars, government rules, and other things that make you go…[PART 4 of 4 or 5 or 6 or….]

Another post I don’t want to write.

We’re now running into week 8 since our visas expired.  We began the process 4 weeks before that (the earliest allowed by the system).   It was a huge relief on April 22 to have us go in and get our fingerprints and signatures given at the local immigration office.  That is always the final step in the process, other than having those visas physically made and then simply handed to us.

“Simply.”  Never, EVER use that word.  Nothing is ever guaranteed to be simple.  Not even the final step in which we do nothing but drive to an office and pick up our visas.  Why?  Because on Monday, we’ll be 5 weeks past the point of giving fingerprints and signatures.  It should have taken fewer than 3 weeks.  They won’t tell us anything over the phone.  However, they are telling us over the phone that we need to go in.

Now what?

Our best guess is they’ve lost our paperwork.  Apparently, this has happened before to others.  Our worst guess is they have decided to not issue our visas and they’re about to deport us.  Remember though, that’s our worst guess!  We really have no idea what the problem is.  We contacted our immigration lawyer on Monday who promised to check into it and try to get us some answers by Wednesday.  We haven’t heard back from her.  We’re hoping that’s not an ominous silence.

Well, we’re not worried about it, but we are concerned about upcoming plans with Beth’s sister and three of her kids coming.  It’s not a process you want to be in the middle of when having company.  Also, we have important meetings (*required*) to attend in Dallas in early July.  Not having our visas in-hand would probably mean we cannot leave Mexico.

Things could get a bit messy if we’re still at that point in just a few more weeks from now.

We’d appreciate your prayers for this mess to get resolved very soon, and so we can determine what other ramifications this delay may have had on other things, namely the temporary import permission for our vehicle.  We could end up with problems with that which would create some significant costs from an unplanned and untimely border trip.

I think we’re in the territory of “praying for a miracle” at this point!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s